Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Social model of disability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, so I have been disabled, physically challenged, or whatever you want to call it, my whole life.

I have not taken time until now to really study disability issues until now with this blog.

I have been coming across these two models of disability.

Social model of disability VS. Medical model of disability

There is value in each model, but the social model seems to me to be the glass is half full model, versus the glass half empty medical model.

The social model focuses on removing barriers so that the disabled can more fully participate in life. Everybody shares the weight of disability.

The medical model puts the weight of disability on the disabled individual and their doctor(s). Finding a cure, making life easier with medicine or adaptive equipment.

As with most other issues, I see both sides. I would love it if a cure came along someday that would take my cerebral palsy away.

In the meantime, I like having barriers removed for me - my disabled parking, the button that opens the door for me at work, etc..

No comments: