Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Santa

Christmas to me is Jesus in a manger. Christmas to me is God entering humanity, a reminder that He loves and cares for us.

The Santa perpetrated by the stores getting us to buy, buy, buy, is questionable.

The Santa who came to my family's door when I was a kid...he was real. We were having a huge Christmas Eve party like we always had. He asked to see me! The first year he came, mom and dad did not know who he was. The next day, a guy came to the door. He was driving a "Armour Meats" truck. Neighbors across the street had asked him to stop at our house.

Santa came and saw me on Christmas Eve for quite a few years. We would move; he would find us. Mrs. Santa was by his side, until one year we heard she succumbed to cancer.

When I first started to go to church, I saw Santa and anything to do with him as an attack on the true meaning of Christmas.

Now I wonder if there is room for us to be the "Santa" to other people, and for us to allow others to be the "Santa" to us this time of year.

Christmas to me is Jesus in a manger. Christmas to me is God entering humanity, a reminder that He loves and cares for us.

Christmas to me is also the love of God working its way through me and you.

Santa made me feel special every year he showed up to check up on me.

Lets try to make each other feel special this season.


No comments: