Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

...But have a good life!

Yesterday I went downtown (Portland) to have lunch with Sam. We roomed together at Varsity House down at Oregon State 27 years ago. We meet together a couple times a year to talk about family, faith and politics.

I am his one honorary liberal friend. Awe!

Usually I pick Sam up in our oversized Sprinter van and we drive somewhere for lunch. We were going to do that yesterday, but I actually found a parking spot. It was only two blocks from the Oregonian building where he works, right in front of a couple mail boxes.

It was a gorgeous day. I had room to unload my scooter, so I did. I scooted down and met Sam in front of The O. Rather than wishing him a belated "happy birthday", I commented how thin and white his hair was becoming.

We headed down to the Pioneer Place food court. Sam walks fast. I was keeping up with my scooter.

This one block we walked down, this is tricky to explain...there as a curbcut for a driveway, then a curbcut up to a narrow sidewalk that led to a larger driveway to a underground parking garage.

Sam and I were making our way down this narrow sidewalk at a good clip. We got to the end. A ten inch curb. No curbcut.

Sam looked at me and said "Can you go over that?" I think he read my thoughts - Yes Sam, I'm going to back this puppy up a bit, hit 90, and fly from curb to curb...instead, he helped me back up.

Thinking about it now, I think there should a sign at the beginning of the sidewalk to warn that there is no ramp at the other end...something like "We recognize the needs of the disabled enough to put up this cheesy sign, but we care to little to do anything about it. There is no ramp at the end of this sidewalk...but have a good life."

Please don't forget the "But have a good life" part...it's nice to know you're thinking about us.

After lunch, I loaded my scooter into the van. I tried to do a trick that works some of the time - I tried to close the back doors from inside the van. I pulled the left door part way, put the lift up, then tried to reach over the top of the lift to pull the door closed. As I was flailing about trying to do this, passing cars started waiving at me, as if I was waiving at them! It made me laugh.

I ended up going down the lift, putting it back up, closing the back doors properly, and going in through the front.

Sigh...

No comments: