Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Concatenate

I had never seen the word "concatenate" until today.

I was trying to merge multiple columns into one in Excel, in an effort to squeeze a two page phone list onto one.  Microsoft help screens are terrible; I always have to go to Google for real help.

I was trying to see if I could have different text formats within a concatenated cell.  Don't try to figure this one out...I am always trying to figure out the impossible.

Today, on my Don Quixote-like quest, I hit a computer virus...a bad one.  The computer ran a scan, then took me to a place to pay.  I knew that was not right.

I put my technical smarts to work.  Geek prayer - "Please God", geek trick- turn computer off...turn computer back on.

Didn't work.

I called the help desk.  Karen, our computer tech, came over.  I told her I was Googling to figure out  how to concatenate.  She laughed and said "that just sounds wrong!".

She had to re-mirror my computer.  It took quite awhile.

Sigh...

2 comments:

NuKiwi said...

Hello Cousin - I think you must be overcomplicating things if you are "concantonating" columns for a phone list. :-)

Hope it all worked out in the end...meanwhile, I am pretty good in Excel, so if Google doesn't do the trick, you know where I am. LOL

Troy Wittren said...

The phone list is a pleasant distraction from my eligibility work. I geek it up all I can. I fit the list of our newly combined two branches onto one page. Supervisor Mel said "Fine Wittren, but now nobody can read it!"

It was a good laugh!