Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Onward, Elizabeth Hovde, onward

I am a fan of Elizabeth Hovde.  She is a conservative columnist for The Oregonian.  I am not exactly a conservative, for anyone who knows me.  I don't believe all truth lies in one camp.  I like to read all sides.

Elizabeth is a conservative with a heart and a brain.

I sent her an email last May when she wrote about how special that foster parents are.  I thanked her for making such an important point, and for the way her writing has of  making me feel and think.

My heart was broken when I heard of her skiing accident last January 11 that left her with a traumatic brain injury.  I have been praying for her since I heard about it.

Oregon Public Broadcasting interviewed her the other day. I missed it when it was on the radio, but I found it online:  http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/elizabeth-hovde/

I applaud her courage for doing a radio interview.  Life is different for her now.  Two young kids and a husband.  Life is different for all of them.  Something like this could happen to any of us at any time.

Elizabeth wrote back to me last May.  I think the words of encouragement she wrote me is a wonderful prayer of hope back to her:

"Keep up the writing, the humor, the love of life.  Onward,  Elizabeth"

Onward, Elizabeth, onward.

No comments: