Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pass around the blessing...

I was in my final years of college.  Annette, a dear friend of mine who helped me find Jesus and who took a bus up from Ashland just to go to my prom with me - she had come down with Hodgkin Disease, a form of cancer that had taken her dad's life.

I took a train up to Tacoma to see her and cheer her up.  I met a guy on the train named Wes.  We hit it off and we talked the whole trip.  He was going to Oregon State University also, and he was on his way to see a friend also.  Wes was from Hawaii.  When we got back to OSU, he invited me to a luau.  It was a beautiful production put on by the Hawaiian club.

I'll never forget the night that Wes came by with a buddy with his buddy's 4 by 4 classic black Cadillac.  It was four feet off the ground!  Needless to say, I was hoisted in!

Anyway, me dear friend Wes sent me a Facebook message with the video below.  Wes lives over in Hawaii.  He is a triathlete like the one guy in the video.   I am like the other guy with cerebral palsy...not quite as bad.

Wes always says that I inspire him.  That always makes me feel a tiny bit squeamish.  My foibles are many...just ask my coworkers who have all abandoned me, leaving my side of the building empty!

Wes inspires me.  He runs marathons and triathlons, but he finds inspiration in a guy like me for whom getting out of bed in the morning and getting to work is like running a marathon.

Watch the video.  The song it plays, "I can only imagine" is one of my favorites...it chokes me up a bit. Each man in the video is a inspiration. Together though, there is power...a miracle is born...there is blessing.




No comments: