Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

What is God's view of disability?

Ridiculous question, I know.  God loves everyone.  His forgiveness is available to all of us.  None of us is lesser or greater in His eyes.  The intellectual side of me knows all this.

Sometimes though, in the midst of struggle, in the darkness when I feel weak, I wonder "why am I disabled?  Why do I need to deal with this?"

The stories of the healings that Jesus performed in the Gospels have always inspired me and bothered me.  I am inspired by the hope that at anytime Jesus could speak a word and heal me.  I am bothered by the thought "Why doesn't he heal me?"

WHEELIE cATHOLIC: Scripture reflection on disability

Wheelie found this treasure of a reflection  on disability in Scripture.

I am not inferior because I am disabled.  I am not lacking because I am disabled.  Whether or not I am "whole" is not dependent on my disability being miraculously stripped away.

Rather, disability is  part of my identity, part of who I am.  No different than black, white, male or female...it's a key part of who I am.

I agree with Wheelie:

"I love the ending where it notes that the paralytic and his friends were never seeking healing, but a means of access to join the crowd and hear Jesus preach."

I need from God the same thing you need from God - His love, His grace, His mercy, His salvation.

I need from God what you need from God - no more, no less.


No comments: