Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Me and U2

Some people have it all together.  Thanks to God and His great mercy, I have never been accused of such a thing!

I went to college in the 80's.  For a guy who has trouble writing notes, and even more trouble reading them, college was hard.  Some professors would give me that look "Why on earth are you here?"

The fun part of college for me was meeting Dave, Lisa, Frank and a myriad of other friends at the "Donut" shop to try to solve the problems of the world.  I also enjoyed my fellowship with brothers and sisters in Campus Ambassadors, the campus christian group I was involved in.

I spent a lot of time in college by myself, studying really hard.  When you have a disability, such as the cerebral palsy that I have, your whole life is about overcoming.

I had a secret stress relief.  When nobody was around, I would slip a cassette tape into my boom box.  One tape in particular I listened to over and over again.

And I would dance.

The lines played through my soul like a prayer:

"Where the streets have no name"

"I have climbed the highest mountain...but I still haven't found what I am looking for"

"And you give...and you give...and you give yourself away"

U2...the Joshua Tree.

When I heard about the event that our intern at church, Vicar Ray, was putting together, I was beside myself.  U2christ, a social justice and worship event to the music of U2.

Click on this graphic below for event info:




Here is a song I hope they do...with BB King, of course...;):



No comments: