Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A mess on the outside

We were out to dinner with family and friends at the Olive Garden. Jodie was at the head of the table in her powerchair. I was sitting by her, trying to tuck my walker between us...as out of the way as I could.

An older gentleman came over and started talking to us. His hat said "2nd Ranger" on it and he used to parachute out of planes, "The most fun you can have without getting naked."

He asked Jodie what she had...then what I have. She told him cerebral palsy. He told us that growing up he had a friend who was like me..."A mess on the outside, but beautiful on the inside".

Hmm. An interesting way to put it!

Offended? Na! Older guy, very kind words. I think he probably underestimated us, not realizing that Jodie and I work, have a home, a van...and that the seventeen year-old at the table was ours.

He asked if we knew Jesus. "Yes we do!"

He gave Jodie and I each a golden medallion. One side reads: "America, the land of the free, only as long as it remains the home of the brave!"

The other side reads: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

When this guy was leaving, he stopped by and told us what a beautiful family we all were. We thanked him.

When the bill came, the manager came over and thanked us for coming in. She then told us that someone had anonymously paid $100 toward our gratuity.

Eric says the guy has spoken at his school, but he cannot remember his name. My Googling fingers failed to find him.

2nd Ranger guy, from the mess of me outside and whatever beauty my Lord affords me on the inside, thank you!

No comments: