Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

I don't do paperwork very well...

Being disabled is a pain in the but sometimes, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Today I had an appointment to have my feet and lower legs molded for something I will be blogging about in the near future.  Cliff hanger!  ;)

I pulled into the parking lot, but the lines for the disabled parking were faded.  I could not see where to park.  I saw a disabled spot on the street by the door, so I took that spot.

I got my walker out of the van, and walked to the front door, just a few steps away.  I pulled the door open and pushed my walker inside the door.

A receptionist saw me and said "You must be Troy."  She seated me and handed me a clipboard with a bunch of papers to fill out.  I told her "I don't do paperwork well."  She laughed and said "None of us do!"

I hate asking for help.  I probably should have gone beyond "I don't do paperwork well," but the lady was already back in the other room before I could get another word.

Paper forms and pen.  My kryptonite...totally!

I can do wonderful things on the computer.  I drive a big ol' van.  I hold down a full-time job.  I use to hand write when I was in school.  I have a signature stamp at work and I have Google Docs on my smartphone.  I rarely hand write anything anymore.

Faced with forms to complete and a pen...I tried

Last name...first name...social security number...phone..group id...emergency contact...on and on.

I tried to stay within the allotted spaces, but I couldn't.  I tried my best...but it was not very good.

The receptionist came back.  Older lady, classic receptionist type.
She saw the form I was working on.

A look of horror came across her face.  I could read he mind "Oh my God, he really can't write!"

Rather than offering to help me complete the form, she asked for my drivers license so she could make a copy of it, then circled a couple spots for me to sign.

I felt stupid and embarrassed...all those things.

When I told Jodie what had happened, she was mad at herself for not coming with me.  We have a symbiotic relationship.  I drive her to her appointments...she comes with me to my first appointments to do all the paperwork.

I don't know why, but we weren't expecting paperwork at this appointment.  Everything about me is on the computer.

Sometimes it would be nice to not be disabled.

Sigh...


No comments: