Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

At the Fair

This morning after we went to E's school to take care of registration, we decided to go down to the Oregon State Fair.



Since getting our scooters in 2002, we have gone to the state fair every year but one.



E likes the rides, Jodie likes to look at the vender booths, I like to look at the animals.



I like the fair, but it seems like a bigger money drain every year we go.



The rides. This year it was 40 tickets for $20. Sounds like a good deal, until you see that most rides require 7 tickets --- that's $3.50 per ride! E likes the tilt-a-whirl and the bumper cars.



In the past I have gone with E on a couple rides. Today I was not feeling like going on rides, but I did go one round with him on the bumper cars. I did not want to be an all out party pooper!

I got into my car alright. I noticed that my knees were up against the small steering wheel. I was not sure how I would do steering, but I managed to get around fine. I use a steering know when I drive our van, so a small wheel with no knob is a challenge. The sterring wheel moved freely, and I was able to one-hand-it by spinning the wheel with my left hand across the top.

I was able to run into E a few times...and he ran into me. We had fun.

The ride was over. Everybody was out of their cars and and off the floor. I was stuck in my car. One of the young guys running the ride came over and asked if I needed a hand.

Such a disabled moment!

Of coarse I needed a hand, but his hand was not going to get me out of the car. E came back. Even though he's not real big, I feel more security with him because he knows the kind of help I need. After some struggle, I was able to unfold my legs, stand up, lift my legs up and out of the car, and get out.

My pride takes a dive again...but I had fun with my son on a ride.

We then went to the vendors. We started outside. The outside vendors were not crowded. E had some money to spend and it was burning a hole in his pocket! He bought a new wallet to hold all of it.

I saw a pillow I liked, one that would provide neck support. Jodie asked "How much?"....$99....No thank you!

Jodie likes to look at everything...she does not buy a lot.

We then went to the vendors inside this large hall. I like to see what they have in there and all the cool demonstrations, but I hate the crowds! Scooters, wheelchairs, strollers and people everywhere! People stopping to look at stuff, trying to get around them, while people are trying to get around us. Some of the aisles are really narrow, and some people's patience is really short.

E wanted to buy wood carved tank. It was beautiful...but costly No E. "But!" No, no and no! Being a parent is so hard sometimes! A little later, we came across a "String Thing"...pretty cool! We let Eric get one. It cost much less than the wooden tank.

I saw a rubber broom that looked really cool. Eric said we could use it for the van...well, we could....but I did not want to party with another twenty.

We then went for some food. Deep fried Snickers or Twinkies anyone? I almost tried, but I chickened out.

We made the trip through the barns to see the cows, horses, sheeps and goats. We saw a dog show. We heard a guy singing everything from old rockn'roll to country. If you have never heard The Big One, you need too. Confederate Railroad does a version....probably is their song.

Jodie waited in a long line to get ice cream for her and I; I took Eric to find a snow cone.

It was a good day at the fair!

2 comments:

Pastor Roger: said...

Hi, Troy!
Sounds like you had a great time at the fir. it's been years for us. I'm sure it's changed, but I agree with you. The animals are beautiful. So well cared for and with all their authentic fragrances! What more could you ask?

Hey, I've started a blog for a possible outreach venture: Koine Community in Portland. Blog is at http://koinepdx1.blogspot.com. First two posts went fine, but it has been frozen ever since a week ago. Haven't done anything different, but nothing I try lets new posts show up although I get the message that they successfully published. Ideas? Thanks! Roger F.

Troy Wittren said...

Hi Roger;

All I can think of is that you have more than one session open. Try signing out and back in. Beyond that, I would need to look at it.