Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday Afternoon at Walmart...

We are doing more of out grocery shopping at Walmart these days. I know it is not a good thing to do per my union -- poorly paid workers with few benefits - but we save a lot of money there.

Lot's of other people must feel the same way, because it is always so crowded!

Jodie and I take our scooters. E pushes the shopping cart. We are like a train.

If you have gone to Walmart, you know that certain areas of the store are very crowded, and other areas are very open.

Most of the grocery aisles are very crowded. Jodie is usually in the lead, E in the middle, and I am behind. I try to stay as much out of the way of other people as I can. I am timid. Jodie is bolder -- she has all the rights to be there as anyone else.

Jodie is right, of course. But I get antsy when people are behind us, wanting to get around us, but they can't. My inclination is to do everything I can to get out of the way. Jodie does not care -- she is there and they can wait.

Some people get mad and start cussing. Some people wait patiently. Some people push and shove their way through.

I always feel funny when someone wants to get an item, but we are blocking their way. I move ahead, or stay behind a bit so that we are not so close together. My favorite thing to do so that we are not too close together is to split off onto my own venture to go get something or look at something.

People have such razor thin patience anymore. I always wonder why people who are in a hurry go to Walmart. It's crowded --- the aisles, the checkout lines.

Even so, I hate to be in the way.

No comments: