Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Keeping track of the race

Bojack turned me on to The Presidential Toteboard 2008. It is a wonderful summation/commentary of what's going on in the race to the White House.

Barack did well in SC today...but thoughts are that Hillary will sweep up on Super Tuesday.

I was at my nephew's basketball game last night. Two guys behind me were talking politics. Hillary scares them, but the one said Barack scared him even more. He is the "sexy" one among younger voters. He use to do drugs....once a druggy, always a druggy, you know. (I guess alcohol is different).

I am a right leaning Dem. I am disenchanted with both parties...let's get stuff done.

-Let's provide for our kids, birth through college, with health care. Supplement the best their family can provide with a benefit supplemental package so that quality health care is available to all kids.

-Let's provide for our kids, birth through college, with quality education. Preschool through college is important to all kids. Provide assistance or loans to supplement what parents can provide. No more unfunded mandates. Allow flexibility; communities are different, kids are different. One size does not fit all.

-Take care of our seniors as best we can.

-Allow the disabled to work without loss of benefits. Give them time to make sure the job will work out. Allow them to keep their medical benefits as needed.

-Rebuild our mental health system that has been ravaged by cuts for way too long. The high number of mentally ill clogging our prisons attests to this.

-Back out of Iraq as prudently as possible. A mess we never should have entered, but we are there, so we are responsible.

I confess that I am having trouble getting past the mudslinging of this delegate courtship to figure out who stands for my issues.

The guys who were talking in back of me last night would not vote for me. I would want more money from them in order to help our fellow Americans in need.

No comments: