Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Accessibility at baseball tournament

Jodie and I like it when the places we need to go are accessible, but we have come to realize that is not always the case.

Eric had a baseball tournament at Fiveoaks Middle School over the weekend. The first two games on Saturday were played at the far diamond by the tennis courts. There was a chain across the entrance to the path. Our first time through the chain was down. Jodie and I were able to scoot over it in our motorized scooters.

The path was pretty bumpy in spots, but we were able to make it to the baseball field.

On our way out, the chain was up. My mom helped Jodie and I do the limbo to get under the chain. One of the other parents on our team asked if anyone had the key to lower the chain, but the people running the tournament didn't seem to know.

After lunch, we returned for game 2. We had to go back to the same field. Nobody was there to help us get under the chain. I helped Jodie under. I took my mirror off to get under myself. I felt like I was going to decapitate myself getting under the chain!

The nondisabled have no idea how ingenius we disabled have to be to get by the barriers we come against.

Game 3 was Sunday morning at the front field. The presented accessaibility issues as well. The field was at the bottom of a pretty steep hill. Jodie and I were just going to watch the game from the top of the hill. One of the dads on the team said that if we went way over yonder, we could get around the hill. I did that, but the grass had lots of holes and bumps. You don't realize they are there until you are on a scooter and trying to not tip over. I made it, but it was not a ride Jodie would have liked.

Eric's team dropped two close games Saturday, but came back to win one on Sunday.

He has another tournament next weekend in Scappoose. I wonder what accessibility challenges it will bring for Jodie and I.

No comments: