Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Cohost, the Starlet, and the King of Pop

Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon and celebrity death

The defining Sidekick, Starlet and King of Pop.

This week, three boomer icons gone.

Ed was always on the couch with Johnny to keep the conversation flowing. He was also the man with the Publishers Clearinghouse checks.

Farrah was a starlet whose beauty carried her before her acting ability kicked in. I remember that PeeChee drawing by Greg H in the 7th grade of Farrah's...never mind.

During my college days, Micheal was all over the radio. I confess, I never bought one of his albums, but I do love some of his songs ... "Thriller" and "Billy Jean." Jodie said one of her workers cried when she heard the news of Micheal's death. That took me back 32 years when Elvis died, and the tears my mom shed for him.

I find it odd coincidence the fame and the struggles these three icons shared. Health and money for Ed and Michael; health for Farrah.

Just as Elvis did 32 years ago, these three have "left the building."

In our hearts, Ed will always be the consummate cohost, Farrah the consummate starlet, and Michael the consummate king of pop.

No comments: