Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Retard!

I shudder when I hear "Retard!"

When kids would make fun of me when I was a kid, that is most often the word I would hear. That one, and "Spazz!"

Words don't hurt; the intent behind the word does.

I am also offended by certain people trying to gain political mileage by trying to gain political capital by trying to ban a word.

I don't like the word. It does not describe my disability and it is mean way to refer to my developmentally delayed brothers and sisters who have their own tough row to how.

"Retard!"...free speech.

Educate people. Change their hearts and minds.

Don't ban a frickin' word!

NBA.com: NBA supports Special Olympics in bid to 'End the Word'

No comments: