Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, April 29, 2011

World's Last Typewriter Factory Closing Its Doors | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

World's Last Typewriter Factory Closing Its Doors | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Momentous day. Last typewriter factory closing.

I learned to type when I was seven at Holladay Center. My handwriting would get me nowhere fast...I can barely read it!

When I was mainstreamed in the fifth grade, a typewriter followed me from class to class. In high school, my typewriter was in the special resource room.

At home I had my brown IBM. I used the white paper corrector stuff...such a mess! I then got a Facit self-correcting. In college I always had to make special arrangements with my professors to use a typewriter for tests.

The hassles of disability. Such an understatement. Gotta embrace it and roll on...or you go crazy.

In my work life, I have had a typewriter follow me around. Now that the IV-E adoption assistance and guardianship assistance forms are finally on the computer, I really have no use for it. And we no longer have a contract for getting it fixed.

The only thing I handwrite now is my signature on those pesky receipts. For any other handwriting I need to gulp down my pride and ask for help.

The end of an era. I would not have gotten where I have without this technological bridge to the computer.

No comments: