Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Laying back with shades on...

Like an old friend, I stop in to see her every six months...and we chat.

Today she sat me down in the chair, leaned me back. She offered me a pair of shades to wear; I accepted.

She saw Eric last week. She was happy to hear how well he is doing in school and in sports, how tall he is and that he is driving. I tell her about the new computer system at work and how it is making Jodie and I go nuts.

She shared with me that she had just returned from a trip from LA. She had been there for two weeks with her daughter, who had to have a double mastectomy and was fighting an aggressive form of cancer.

I did not really know what to say. I really could sense her pain. I started to pray for her daughter. I babbled on so as to not let the conversation drop. I then told her "One day at a time." It is really the best we can ever do, but sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking that we have a semblance of control over life.

As she cleaned my teeth, yes, the dear lady is my hygienist, I noticed my lower jaw was doing the cerebral palsy shake thing. I wondered how often it does that without me knowing it. I realized that I am likely this hygienist's toughest patient that she sees in a year. My inward complaining "Man! This always takes so long!" turned to "Man! She she really treats me with patience and grace."

I got back to work. I had several IM's going in no time...all work related, of course, I had a "dear John" email for a job rotation I was really hoping for. I told Justin I didn't want to open it...but I did.

Made me realize that things happen for a reason, or don't happen for a reason.

We are just called to be there in the moment...even if it is laying back with shades on.




No comments: