Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Handcycling at PIR

The racetrack at the Portland International speedway is two miles.  Did you know that?  I don't think I'll ever forget that after tonight.

Handcycling at the PIR is an event that runs every Tuesday through September.


John and Dixie from our church family have been encouraging us to come.  John is a racer trying for 4 miles.  Dixie hands out fruit, water and encouragement.   Many wonderful volunteers are there.

All abilities...all ages...all skill levels.  No cost.

Jodie did great.  Her cycle was more upright, steering with her hands. 

Me?  I kept thinking that I was glad Eric was not there to see how many times I drove off the track into the grass.

The bike I was on steered by leaning your legs.  My brain was telling my legs what to do, but my wild legs just weren't moving the way I wanted them to.  I kept driving off the track into the grass. Each time there was someone around to help me back onto the track.  I was trying to hurry, because there was a guy waiting for my handcycle.

My handcycle had many gears.  I didn't use them.  I was having trouble staying on track in low gear...why would I go to higher gear?

Jodie stayed with me.  She could have easily blown by me.

Physical exercise just isn't much part of my life, but this felt good.  We were tired...a good kind of tired.

Will we be out there next Tuesday?  Hmm...


No comments: