Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The key won't turn!

Jodie had her office manager's meeting yesterday.  My manager attends the same meeting.  I'm allowed the flexibility of transporting Jodie from her meetings to her office with our van.

I picked Jodie up about 12:30.  We drove to Wendy's in Gresham.  We got up to the drive-up menu to order.  I turned off our van.  Our diesel van is so loud that the order takers can't hear us over our loud engine.

After we gave our order, I tried to turn the key to turn the van back on.  It would not turn!

Jodie tried to turn the key.  The world is Troyproof you know.  What does not work for me does work for just about everyone else.   Also, I can break stuff in ways no one else can. You think I kid.  Whatever!!

Well, the key would not turn for Jodie.  Panic was setting.

Disabled couple in their Big A** van blocking Wendy's drive-up menu.

I kept jiggle the steering wheel, and the key.  I  was praying.  In out last van I broke the key off in the ignition...that was an expensive fix.

The key did turn.  The van started.  We went to park to eat.  The key would not turn to turn the van off.  We decided to go home. We parked in our drive way.  Still, the key would not turn.  We ate our lunch with the van running.

We called the shop.  They did not know what would cause the key not to turn, but hey, they never figured out why the van's windshield wiper broke off a few months ago either.  They scratched their heads and told me to come into the shop.

With the interlock system on the van, our lift does not work when the van is running.  I went in the house and got Jodie's crutches so she could walk into the house.

I pulled the van into the shop's garage.  I was praying it would not cost much.  Did not know which card to put this one on.  ;)

I got my walker out, told the guys "It  won't turn off," and headed to the waiting room.  The 'or I'll eat my hat!' guy was in his office.  "Hi, my friend!" he said.

In short tine, one of the shop guys came and told me the the key was bent, which it why it was not working.   The hammered it straight, but told me to start using another key.  No charge...such a nice shop.

I texted Jodie and headed home.  When I opened the garage, Eric came running out.

"Dad, how did you bend a key?!"

I reminded him I'm the same guy who rebroke his arm, bending the titanium plate that had been holding it together.

Troyproof...ya know...

No comments: