Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, April 14, 2014

It's not the kite...

I was not familiar with Pharrell until I saw him on tv a couple times recently. I'm not normally dialed into his style of hip hop. I'm an old fart. Classic rock, old country...70's and 80's.

Pharrell's song "Happy" is seriously addictive. As I write this, I am dialed into 24hoursofhappy.

The words of wisdom that Pharrell shared on CBS Sunday Morning struck a cord in me that needed striking.

Success..."making it"...fulfillment. If you have "made it", so my words might not resonate with you.

Me...I always have had a feeling that I need to obtain a level of success that I never quite reach. There is something great I need to do, but I don't know if I will ever do it...or even figure out what it is.

Ok, I am a "type A" wannabe trapped in a "type B" body...probably the worst of my disabilities.

Reporter Anthony Mason tries to get Pharrell to focus on his success. Now that he has "made it", will he repeat his success? He does not see it that way. Rather, Pharrell focuses on being grateful for every single person who has impacted his life to bring him to this success. He sees that the "stars have aligned" for his current success, and that does not happen for everyone, and it may never happen again for him.

Pharrell said in the interview, "It's not all you. It can't be all you. Just like you need air to fly a kite, it's not the kite. It's the air."

Thinking about my own life. Seeking success, trying to make the stars align, is like chasing a mirage. I'll never get there because it's not a destination.

Realizing the people in my life...Jodie, Eric, my family and friends, my teachers and my mentors...it's all the air.

We are all "kites" for ourselves and part of the "air" for those around us. Kites do not soar without air. Our focus should be set on being the best air we can be for those around us.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

It's not the kite.












No comments: