Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Witticisms...

When I was at Oregon State in the 80's, I had a column in the Daily Barometer titled Witticisms. It was my outlook on the world, with a bent toward light humor.

I miss writing a column. It ran every Friday, and I was paid just $7 a column, but I had a base of fans who use to let me know when I got it right.

I'll never forget the column I wrote for disability awareness week. I spent a long night writing, rewriting, and starting over again. I was ranting, raving and yelling at people. I didn't want to do that! I wanted to touch people.

Somewhere in the wee morning hours I felt my spine tingle. The Pepsi induced inspiration was pouring out my fingers. I wrote about a day in the life of my best buddy.

I have always identified with Mr. Magoo, rambling my way through a challenged filled world, and somehow making it to where I need to be, never aware of the odds against me.

People who knew me knew exactly who my "best buddy" was. I remember getting a call from the sports editor --- the sports guy --- praising me for the column. I didn't know those guys read anything but sports!

People who didn't know who I was probably thought it was just a nice story, but one that made them think.

I am hoping to use my new Blogger site "witticisms" as a way to get my juices flowing. I want to get a domain for it, but witticisms.com is taken. Hmmm...

No comments: