Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Disablism....

Blogging against diablism is set for May1st.

Disablism is a term new word to me linguistically, but its meaning is something I have known since I was old enough to realize people were staring at me because I was different, laughing at the way I walked, focused more on the strangeness of my speech rather than trying to understand what I was saying.

Retard. There's a disablism that still makes me wince. For some reason, it's the term I most frequently hear from people who are inclined to make fun of me.

The term seems barbaric and loaded with hate.

Perhaps people who call me "retard" because my disability make them uncomfortable, or it might be a chance for them to lift themselves up.

"Crippled" is a term I don't care for, but some people, particularly older people, use it as a descriptive term without meaning it as a slam.

"Retard" is a slam, whoever uses it.

I don't like that word!

No comments: