Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Clyde is sick

Bonnie & Clyde. Sister and brother. Our beloved pets. Half Dauchsund, half Yorkie Terriors.

Bonnie is smaller with straight hair. She looks very dachsund. Clyde has the length of a dachsund and the curls of a yorkie.

Both are usually running arund the house, looking for the next mischief to get into.

In the morning I am the first one up. I let them out of their cage and try to ge them to go outside. An hour later, Jodie and Eric come out of the bedrooms. When Jodie opens our bedroom door, Bonnie & Clyde are always there to try to get in our room. Jodie is always hollering to get them to stay out of our room. Clyde is always the last one out.

Yesterday, Clyde did not move off the couch when Jodie came out of the room, not like himself at all. We called our vet. They had no available appointments, but they felt Clyde should be seen right away.

We took him to the SE Animal Hospital. We left him there so they could run tests. They said he needed to be rehydrated. A couple hours later they called to let me know that the count on his kidney test were abnormally high.

His symptoms are like the pets who have eaten the tainted dog food (canned and pouch) accross the country. It is thought to be a rat poison that was used with wheat in China. The details are still evolving. I am waiting to see if dry dog food becomes part of the recall.

Jodie and Eric went with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law to see Clyde today. He had not been eating, but with all the company he did.

The vet does not seem overly interested in finding out what Clyde got into that has caused his kidneys to fail. His kidney readings were better today.

Sounds like we will be able to bring him home tomorrow. I authorized a blood test when the vet called today that will test for a few things. She said we could have a ultrasound done later to test for more, but like I said, she didn't seem too interested in figuring out a cause. All I can figure is that the possible causes are too many to narrow down.

I feel like I'm rambling. I'm not positive that Clyde will make it through this, but I pray that he does. He is part of our family. Bonnie misses him and is so mellow without him, and we miss our two wild mutts - Bonnie & Clyde.

No comments: