Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

For Parkrose princess, no challenge is too big

For Parkrose princess, no challenge is too big

Very nice story about a very brave young women.

For readers outside the sphere of Portland, Oregon, the Rose Festival is a celebration of Portland pride that is now 100 years old. High Schools around Portland each select a princess in March.

This tradition has taken some hits lately. People wonder if it discriminates against young men by not including them. So far as it has been decided that young women who make a difference are worthy of celebration.

Margaret Drew has a form or dwarfism that includes, as the article notes, cartilage that is like "swiss cheese". She has scoliosis.

Margaret has fought to survive, and she has pushed to succeed. Student council, dance team, choir.

I am moved that her classmates recognize her accomplishments. Margaret has a well deserved place on the 2007 Rose Festival Court.

She wants to go to Oregon State University. She wants to learn to drive.

20 years ago I graduated from there. Margaret's mom is concerned about whether she will be able to get her scooter around campus. When I was there I went from building to building researching the accessibility of all the buildings. Not many of the buildings were accessible. I think I calculated that 4% were accessible. I remember one building, I think Waldo Hall, that inaccessible -- I don't remember if there was a way for a wheelchair to get into the building, or if there was just no way to get upstairs. I just remember there was no plans to make the building accessible because the building was condemned. Yet, the building was still being used.

I also remember the discomfort of enforcing accessibility rules. If I had a class or lab that was held in a inaccessible location, the class or lab could be forced to move because of me. I don't think that ever had to happen, but I remember not wanting to be the cause of that having to happen.

I was part of the disabled group down there. I became pretty close to the adviser. He was from Virginia I believe. I remember there was a dwarf in the group. He has two brothers who were also dwarfs. One had a Mustang I think.

My mode of transportation during college was a three wheel bike. I use to ride everywhere I had to go in Corvallis on that bike.

It wasn't until after I graduated that I learned how to drive. I did not know if I could with my form of cerebral palsy, but Voc Rehab got my lessons, and mom bought me the old Volvo.

Margaret's dreams will come true.

No comments: