Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Jerry Lewis telethon

Jodie loves to watch it. She would love to meet him one day. She use to keep the tv on all night when it was on, but not this year. She has been a huge fan since a child.

My admiration for the telethon goes up and down. I think it is a good way to bring disability awareness to people, but I don't like the pity it pleads for.

I remember my mom telling me that as a child I was asked to be on the local part of the Easter Seals telethon. They wanted me to sit in a wheelchair, even though I did not use even a scooter at the time.

It was a show...yanking people's heart strings to get money.

This blog selection is angry about the pity aspect, as well as Jerry referring to people in wheelchairs as being half a person.

And there is the controversy over whether Jerry used the other F word on this year's telethon.

This year's telethon netted more than $3 million over last year's.

This guy claims that muscular dystrophy was cured 15 years ago, and continuation of the telethon is a charade to keep Jerry happy.

The telethon has given birth to an online protest.

I quickly get bored by it. I keep it on because Jodie likes it. She loves Jerry and the whole "Jerry's kids" thing. She always says that the research that is done on behalf muscular dystrophy could eventually lead to cures for conditions like what we have --- cerebral palsy. And, in a weird kind of way, Jerry is a loving earthly father figure on behalf of the disabled --- a Santa Claus of sorts.

Why ruin that?

No comments: