Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Pet Peeve...

I returned to our sprinter van the other day after E's sunday morning double header "fall ball" baseball games. We were parked in a disabled parking spot. There was another disabled parking spot next to the one we were parked in. In between the two disabled parking spots was a striped off area that is meant to give extra room for the disabled who park there.

The disabled spot next to the one we were parked in was empty, but parked in the striped area was a Toyota truck.

I really hate when people park in the area between disabled spots. People seem to think that by parking in the striped area that it is less of a wrong than if they parked in the vacant disabled spot.

Oh so WRONG!

The striped off area is where I park our scooters while I am getting the lift up and down. It is where people who use wheelchairs maneuver in and out of their wheelchairs. We use that area to open our doors wider so we can get in and out of our car easier.

I parked my scooter in front of the Toyota. What I did not realize at first was that the Toyota truck was my nephew's! He has not been driving long. He is 15 and had driven to the park with his mom, my sister-in-law. My dear sister-in-law had told my nephew it was okay to park there.

My nephew could tell I was upset, but he and his mom, everybody was laughing it off. That made me madder.

Jodie has had cerebral palsy from birth. He sister should know better than to teach her son that it's okay to park illegally between two disabled parking spots...but she doesn't.

They were laughing about it. More words from me weren't going to make them understand.

It's nice to have a place to vent.

No comments: