Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Visit with Dr. Molly

I went back to Dr. Molly yesterday.

I pulled up to the valet parking area. They thought I was delivering a person in a wheelchair...until they saw me. I have been there enough that they know me by face.

I gave them my name...I think "Croy" is what they got...almost "Troy".

They took the keys to Jet White. I figured they would know enough to not take our 8 in-a-half-foot tall monstrosity into the parking garage...unlike yours truly.

I made it to Molly's office at 2:30...right on time.

"Troy," the sweet voice behind the window asked, "Did you know your appointment is at 3:30?"

Uh, no I didn't. They got me in a half hour early.

I told Dr. Molly about the episode I had about a month ago. My chest was hurting, so I went and saw my main dr., and internist.

It was not my heart. It was the pleurisy, or whatever it is causing my chest pain. I had stopped taking the muscle relaxant and the pain reliever because Molly had told me to wean myself off them after the summer.

So on to yesterday's visit with Molly. She kind of left it up to me as to what to do. Take the least needed doses of the muscle relaxant and pain reliever needed to maintain. I told her that the pain in my chest mis aggravated when I do excessive walking. She said that we may eventually need to discuss mobility aides. I told her I have a scooter and a walker, but that each presents it's own hassles -- getting them in and out of the car. Molly empathized. Her daughter has cp and uses a walker sometimes.

In the end, it's all up to me. How much of the meds to take, when to use my walker or scooter.

It's up to me.

I have always liked to dr. to tell me what to do. I guess they don't know. In the past Molly seems in favor of more meds, but she has come to appreciate that I drive and I work. I need to function with clarity, rather than in the fog of total pain relief.

I left. I gave the guy my ticket to get my car. He came back, asking if there was a secret to starting my car. I could see Jet White parked on the street about a block down. I told him I could get it. My long walk down the street I thought "Gosh, I really could use my walker!"

No comments: