Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Work discrimination....

...From across the pond...

Disabled employees experience discrimination and prejudice at work as one in 10 pay for workplace ad

Have I experienced prejudice or discrimination in the work place? Interesting question...

I don't really know.

Early in my career with the state, I typed case notes. A caseworker insisted that I misspelled the word "inconsistent". I use to be a copy editor. The word was not misspelled. I wanted to copy the dictionary entry for the word...but I didn't. Was the caseworker prejudice against me? I don't know.

I have been overlooked for a couple promotions. Sometimes I feel that if I were not disabled that I would have gotten more of the promotions I have gone for over the years. The job I have now I applied for three years before I got it. I had one person up against me. I had more of the technical skills needed for the job; she got it because she was more social. I figured if I did not have the speech difficulty I have that I would have gotten the job.

I try to let stuff roll off as quick as I can. You only hurt yourself hanging onto stuff.

Bad stuff happens....good stuff happens...you roll on.

No comments: