Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Old friends

When I was in Salem at the Department of Human Services building getting instructions for a special cleanup project today, I ran into coworkers I have not seen for years.

Jodie went to the meeting with me. At lunch we saw Bonnie. Bonnie was in support staff at the Washington County Branch when I worked there from 1989-1995. My first job, we were like family. Bonnie was at our wedding shower, our wedding, and the baby shower we had before E was born. Bonnie started talking to us, and it was for quite awhile.

We also saw Gail. We met her with the opening of the Gresham Child Welfare branch in 1999. I remember she and her husband were into old cars, and she liked to drag race.

At the end of the day I saw Nelson. Nelson and I learned and became foodstamp and medical eligibility workers back in 2002. We both tried hard to learn the job and we both struggled. His kids are 5 and 8 now.

I was struck by how good it made me feel to see these old friends of mine. I was really warmed by it!

The work will fade away, but the friendships and memories never die.

No comments: