Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Help me help Kyle's sister...

I wrote about this tragedy last November:


Kyle was a special needs 12 year-old with autism. The father, Ryan, was overwhelmed with his son's needs, and apparently despondent his own issues. Ryan took both of their lives.

Last week I got an email from Kim Dutter. She is Kyle's sister. Kyle was a huge part of her life. She was away at college, her first year, when this happens.

Kim is angry at what her father did. She misses her brother, the sunshine of her life. She wants to see something done in Kyle's name to prevent this kind of incident from happening again.

My initial thought was some kind of legislation to provide more supports for families with high needs kids.

I just don't know. I am confused. The health care debate is showing how splintered we are as a nation in taking on one another's needs.

What can we do to honor Kyle? What can we do to comfort Kim?

My heart is heavy.


No comments: