Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Unemployed to homeless blogger

A great rags to work modern economic tale:

Blogging begins turnaround for homeless woman - CNN.com:

Check out Brianna's blog, The Girl's Guide to Homelessness. Most of us are never too far from this. Rather than letting it keep her down, she learned about homelessness, wrote about it, and became a resource on the issue.

Be sure to read "Where it all began":

In July of 2008, my corporation had mass layoffs. The economy was beginning to crumble, and the auto industry was the first to be affected due to the skyrocketing prices of gas. Over 280 out of 500 employees were laid off, and I was among them. The company that I worked for was enormously kind and fair to each and every one of us, and compensated us well with a severance package, so I was OK for a while. I did some temp-to-hire work for an environmental engineering company for a few months, but they ended up having layoffs right before Christmas 2008 and again I was out of a job. Since then, I have been searching for employment without success. I am on extended unemployment benefits, but I prefer actual work. Salaries have been slashed by at least 20% (often more) so I have no hope of making what I used to, but that is to be expected – I’m in good company, at the moment it’s a status symbol simply to have a job at all.
...

Initially, the idea of this terrified me. Here is a summary of the commentary that first ran through my head: This would never happen to me. I am not the kind of person that lives on the street. I have a life, I have friends, I have a dog, I have stable employment and residential history, references, education, skills, talents – I have worked hard all of my life to ensure stability for myself. How did this happen, HOW CAN I DO THIS?!?!?!?!


I suppose greater horrors than this can be imagined, but this would be high on my list of unimaginable horrors. The strength and grace with which she dealt with this is a movie I would want to see.

No comments: