Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Our Big Ass van!

Yes, I said the "A" word.  We sang the word in a hymn this morning, "What Child is This"...so it is a churchy word...

Pastor Roger gave a fine sermon today.  Questioning and listening...talking about the only episode in Scripture that is recorded about Jesus between the time He was an infant to when He began His three year ministry.

Roger turns 66 today.  We sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  Roger is a radical follower of Jesus, very much a modern day prophet.  I am sure, back in the day, he would say to never trust anyone over 30.  I wonder, now is it over 70...or 75?  ;)  I'm sure Roger will let me know.

The early service at our church is usually the contemporary service.  We have two praise teams that switch off and sing the songs you hear on the contemporary Christian radio stations.

Today we had no praise teams.  We had Katie, our wonderful pianist from the second service, and classic hymns on the overhead screen.

Yours truly ran the slides from the computer today.  Sitting in the back, I like to watch the people.  It's fun to see who is engaged...and who is not...during the service.

Today, I found the hymns to be a refreshing change.  I am 48...almost...never mind.  Some of the people and families younger than me did not seem to be enjoying the hymns, whereas the people older than me thought they were great.

My two cents - why not mix the music to give the young some of what they want, and the older set some of what they want.  We are family...give and take for the good of all...but what do I know?

On my way out of the church, I overheard a couple ladies talking.  They were saying "Now that was a good service...that is how they should all be!"

"Okay..." I thought.

Then, the one lady saw our Sprinter van and started to freak out.  "What's that van doing parked there!"

I was kind of amused.  We have had the van over five years now...and driving it to church every Sunday.  Most people have seen me load and unload Jodie.  Evidently this lady has not.  I couldn't figure out why this lady was freaking out over it.

So our van is blessed with a large behind.  How does that affect this lady?

I love our big ass van...;)



No comments: