Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I can put the apricots back..."

I went to Safeway again today...a different one from yesterday. Eric did not want to come. Jodie made me a list. I walked it so I could take a cart, because I had a much bigger list today.

When I was in the fruit area, I saw plastic containers of apricots. I like apricots. I am trying to eat better. I could put a couple in my lunch cooler each day.

I went up to checkout. The guy behind me in line was really friendly. He grabbed the box of of pop for me that was on the lower shelf of my cart and hoisted it to the counter for me.

When I went to checkout everything went well until the checkout gal tried to scan the apricots. They would not scan. She typed the number in and it did not come up. She told the bagger girl, but she did not respond. A couple minutes later the checkout gal asked the bagger to go grab another thing of apricots.

She asked me if I had gotten them from the produce section. I confirmed that I did. The bagger went too get another one. Not that she had to run, but she seemed to take a long time.

Same thing...they would not scan and the number would not ring up.

The guy behind me spoke up. He said he was the president of this division of Safeway and he told the checkout gal that she should give me the apricots for free because of the delay they were causing me. He had a southern drawl. I thought, "I'm going to Google this guy when I get home and see who he is."

The bagger girl had not looked at the price of the apricots when she went back, so she walked back to get the price.

She took a long time. The guy behind my reiterated his position that I should get the apricots for free.

I was nervous. I hate being the guy holding up the line. The "president of the division" guy behind me was upset over how I was being made to wait.

I said "I can put the apricots back."

The checkout gal asked "Are you sure?" as she started to reach for them. The guy behind me did not like that.

The bagger returned after a very uncomfortable wait and said "Two fifty!"

When I got home I Googled to find out who the president of the local division of Safeway. His name is Steve Frisby. He started in Arkansas, went to Texas, and then came to Portland. He is president of the Portland division of Safeway. I found a couple older pictures of him.

I am positive that it was Steve Frisby behind me in the checkout line.

He saw me loading the van and offered to help. "I got it, but thank you," I said.

A very gracious man with customer service on the brain.

No comments: