Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Discovering Newport...and my limitations...

Two seagulls are outside on the roof beneath our window. We have the six inch slider window open for air. No air conditioning here on the Oregon coast. There usually is not a need...but the room is hot. Eric is worried the birds will fly into the room...but he just discovered a wire running the length of the roof, meant to ward the seagulls from the window we assume. Peace at last.

We met Pastor Dave for lunch. Jodie has known him since she was 10. Pastor Dave married us 19 years ago. Pastor Dave baptized Eric nearly 14 years ago. We had lunch at the Rogue Ales Public Brewery House. He was amazed by Eric's knowledge of history, war, politics and the Bible...and by Eric's height.

This morning we visited the shops on Newport's historic bay front district. After lunch we went to the Oregon Aquarium in the south beach district. In place of where killer whale Keiko use to live is a wonderful "Passages of the Deep" shark exhibit. You walk through the tank through glass tunnels...really neat.

Tonight we went to the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. The view of the bay is great. Eric and I walked around and read all the interpretive signs. T`e lighthouse was already closed for the day, but we still got to take in the history.

We then drove up to the Nye Beach district. I couldn't find a good place to park. It is kind of hilly, and the sidewalks did not look roomy enough for our scooters, so we did not stop. We parked in the public lot by the beach. Jodie got out with her crutches, not taking her scooter. I didn't want to take my walker, but Jodie and Eric thought I should. Jodie and Eric wanted to take the paved path down to the beach.

A humbling experience for me. Jodie was going to walk down to the beach. I knew I didn't have the strength to walk down. The night before I had the same dilemma at the beach by our hotel. The driveway down to the steps to get to the beach were so steep that I was afraid to go down. Jodie not only made it down the steep driveway, but she made it down the steps to the beach.

I went back to the van and got my scooter. The path got steeper and steeper. I was afraid of being able to make it back up. Eric said he would push me back up if he had to.

Fearful of walking down hill. Not enough strength to walk a long path. Not use to seeing Jodie have less mobility issues than myself.

Things are changing...


No comments: