Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Elephant ears and the Guv...

We went to the Oregon State Fair yesterday. Very nice website btw.

We make this trek every year. It is largely the same year after year. The best part of the fair, people watching, never gets old.

Eric likes the game booths...and the vendor booths, when he gets to buy something. Jodie likes window shopping the booths. I like to see the farm animals and the people who work them; rural Oregon is so far removed from my daily life.

We were in the exhibit hall. I was lagging behind. A guy in a nice rain coat said "Hi Troy!" Slight panic as my mind races to figure out who he was. A former coworker? Pastor Dave who we saw two days ago for the first time in 13 years? It was the later. His wife, Joanne, was there also. We remembered our wedding day 2o years ago.

I wanted to try an elephant ear. We bought one to split. We ducked into a building to escape the passing rain shower. I made such a mess! Cinnamon and crumbs everywhere...but it was good.

We then went and joined Governor Ted Kulongoski sing 'Happy Birthday' to Oregon...the finale to Oregon's 150th birthday. We were right behind him, by that guy you see behind him in the photo. I thought about hanging behind to shake his hand and say "Hi boss!"...after all, Jodie and I are state workers...but Eric was anxious to go.

We were damp and tired. The rain was not too bad...but it lasted awhile. Eric put his baseball cap on my head so I would quit whining...

Eric won a guitar by knocking down three plastic cups with his fastball.

Another year at the state fair...

No comments: