Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Segways for Disabled People - UBC Reports

Segways for Disabled People - UBC Reports

Hmm.....sounds interesting. I wonder if I could handle a Segway? I wonder if I would still run over people at work when they race around cubicle corners and give me dirty looks when they run into me?

When I started using my scooter at work, I got such sympathetic looks. I eventually started using my walker. Cerebral palsy and back pain - some days are pretty bad. The last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself.

Lately I have been going into work with neither my walker or scooter. It is hard getting them out of the car, and it makes me even more late for work. My new bag is on wheels, so that does not throw me off.

I know it should not matter to me what other people think of me, but sympathetic looks bother me. My wife has no option but to use her crutches. I have options that depend on my pain level.

I am a weenee, caught between embracing and accepting my disability, and gritting and bearing my pain with as little assistance as possible.

I am hard on myself, can you tell?

Give me a Segway - I will run everyone down!

No comments: