Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

SNOW DAY!

The temp on my computer says it is 32 outside. Our culdesac is dusted with snow. Portland Schools were 2 hours late; now they are closed. Gresham is closed. Portland Lutheran and Portland Lutheran and Portland Adventist are both closed -- but not Eric's school -- Portland Christian is open, normal schedule.

Neither Jodie nor I can manuever in slick conditions. We are staying put, for now.

President Bush spoke to the nation last night. 20,000 additional troops to secure Baghdad and cracking down on Sadr City, from whom President Maliki has relied on for support.

I have not supported this Iraq venture from day one. Last night Eric had all sorts of questions. Since Sadaam is gone, why is there still fighting. I explained as much of it as I understand. Sadaam led the country, though he was part of a minority group. Now the majority is in charge, but they don't have much experience at leadership, nor do they necessarily have the interest of all the people.

I told Eric that I pray that the President's new plan works, though I don't agree with sending more troops over there. Seems like we are just putting more soldiers in the middle of another country's civil war. I pray the the President's plan works, but it does not seem likely to me that it will.

Eric had his first regular basketball practice last night. I watched a scrimmage game. The good players had the ball most of the time. Eric was lucky to get a pass now and then. One of the teammates still is letting his temper get the best of him.

I did a special project at work. A spreadsheet was needed with the caseworkers names, phone #'s, and state e-mail addresses. The e-mail addresses were tricky to get because the one's listed in Groupwise contacts are wrong. You have to get them off the state directory on the internet...unless you figure out another way. From the website work I have done at home, I have become a master at the cut and paste, moving between spreadsheet to word processor and back to get stuff done. I completed the list for Rockwood Branch and Gresham Branch and sent it to Paul. Jodie hopes it will impress him with what I can do. I hope so too.

No comments: