Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Scary Moment

Last week during a baseball game, our eleven year old son was catching. The bottom of the 4th had just started. He called "time". He had to go potty--11 year-old speak.




At the beginning of the season the coaches had told the boys to do their business before and after the game. This was different. As the coach was helping get his gear off, he fainted. Had the coach had not been there to catch him, E would have hit his head on cement.




E was not out long, but it seemed long. Jodie and I made our way over, but other parents asked us to sit down. I sat back down; Jodie started back to her seat, but then went back. Her mom and our nephew were there. A mom on the other team was a nurse. Someone said they saw his eyes roll to the back of his head.




Paramedics came and checked him out. He was dehydrated, but okay. We took him to emergency. A touch of stomach flu, but he was okay.




I have resisted writing about our son for safety reasons. I share this episode only because it showed Jodie and I what a parent's fear really is, and the awkwardness of dealing frightened parents, while other people were treating us as kids that needed to be calmed down.




There is nothing to be calm about when your kid is passed out on the ground.




I was afraid of him seizuring. I had no idea what was causing this, how long he would be out, or what was happening to him.




I was afraid of the unknown.




No harm or insult was meant by the other people around us, I know that.




But people should give us the space to be freaked out panicked parents when circumstances warrant.




No comments: