Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Why was Doug on "King of Queens" riding a scooter?

I've been googling for hours to find out more about what was behind the story line of Doug on "King of Queens" riding a scooter in the series finale of the show.

I found a comment:
KofQ had it's moments.Most recently when Doug took to riding a senior's scooter.Hi'freakin'larious.

And another comment on another episode:

An episode I like is when the guys get an apartment above their favorite chinese/japanese (not sure which one) restaurant to get away from their wives and be closer to the restaurant. The guys decide not to go there anymore but Doug keeps it and Carrie finds out when she orders take out because Doug started working there to make extra money to pay for the apt. Then he delivers food to her job riding a scooter and he sees her and leaves the food and takes off! Omigod it was so funny! Classic king of queens!


In my last post, I talked about people using scooters to cruise the Vegas strip out of convenience rather than mobility need. I was not bothered by this, but I told Jodie about this and she thought it was awful. She feels that people who use scooters because they are lazy is real insensitive to people who use scooters out of necessity.

I figure if people want to use it as a convenience, heh, what's the big deal?

Seeing Doug use the scooter for no apparent reasons but to get laughs---I'm not comfortable with that. In the finale episode, the apartment is empty and Doug is trying to sweep the floor while on the scooter. He holds the broom and zips criss cross across the floor in the scooter. The audience is laughing.
Doug is not really sweeping the floor; he is having fun.

It would not be funny for a truly disabled person who had to use a scooter and had a floor that they really needed swept. When my pain level is high and I have to use my scooter, it's not fun to get around the obstacles that are everywhere. It takes determination.

I am a huge fan of humor. The seriousness and pain in this world -- we need all the laughter we can get.

I'm not so much offended by Doug using the scooter and making light of it. I just don't see what the humor is.

Can somebody explain it to me?




No comments: