Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Showing the heart of a champion

Showing the heart of a champion

Blake Shelly and his family attended our church years ago. Time escapes me, because it does not seem that long ago that he was 8 or 9, but this article says that Blake is now 18.

Blake has cerebral palsy like mine, athetoid I believe they call it. His whole body is affected, his arms and legs. He had a fancy walker as a young guy, one where the main part of the walker was behind him and it was open in the front. I was always impressed with him because he moved so fast with the walker, and never seemed timid with the other kids.

I always felt I should have words of wisdom for him, but his optimism and gumption, he never seemed to need my wisdom.

I was always inspired seeing him function so well as a young guy, I always prayed that him seeing me function as an adult with a wife and child would be inspiration to Blake.

Blake was encouraged to be a manager rather than a participant by coaches and friends. He wanted to participate, which he did with grace and the cheers of classmates.

Cheers to you Blake!

No comments: