Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Madeliene

E had a basketball game at Madeleine this afternoon. NE 23 and Klickitat in Portland. It is a Catholic church and school.

I took the right freeway exit, but I was in the wrong lane and I wound up back on the freeway. The Garmin took me off the next exit, and got my to the school. I like my Garmin!

We got to the school and E started freaking out because we didn't know where the gym was. Chill kid! The Garmin cannot help us with that.

We saw a guy walking across the parking lot. He looked like he might know where the gym was. He did. "Upstairs." Upstairs?

Jodie has a much more difficult time with stairs than I do...but stairs aren't my friend either.

She told me to go up with E so that one of us would be there. E and I made it upstairs. It was a long staircase with a short landing in the middle and a door to the right at the top of the stairs. E helped me with the door. When we got upstairs, the guy we had seen in the parking lot was up there. He said there was an elevator on the other side, that he would run it for us.

I went to the door and looked down the stairs. I wanted to go get Jodie. I froze. Going downstairs is harder than going up. I froze.

I went back into the gym and headed for the other door. I thought maybe the stairs there were less daunting. As I started toward the door. the guy came back and said the elevator door was looked, and they didn't knew where the key for the elevator was.

I felt bad that Jodie had to stay in the car. But her attitude was that at least one of us were there for E. And Pastor Karl came to the game...that was very awesome.

Our boys were behind the whole game. The highlight was a short run in the third or forth quarter where we went from being 20 down to just being 8 down in just a minute or two, but then it went back the other way.

It is frustrating when inaccessibility gets in the way. Church's and private schools do the best they can do.

I should be more militant...I know. I am a fan of Mr. Magoo. We muddle through.

No comments: