Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Donut World and Heaven

After church yesterday we stopped at Donut World in Gresham. It is a wonderful secret in Gresham in a building that looks like a red barn.

Jodie and E are usually the ones who go inside to get the donuts. Yesterday I went in with E.

When I came out I saw a gentleman sitting in the corner booth inside. We were studying each other. I could tell by the way he was holding his head that he had cerebral palsy, more severe than mine.

Jodie said that she saw him when she went inside. She said that she remembered hearing the lady behind the counter tell a young girl "Now you put his donuts on a tray and take them to him, okay?"

I can relate with him. When I was in college there was a donut shop across from campus. I was such a regular that I referred to it as "My Office". Warm apple fritters in the morning were my heaven. It got to where I did not need to verbalize my order. They automatically reached for an apple fritter for me.

My first class in college was a Pascal (computer programming) class. My Varsity House mate, Darwin, made a deal that if we could keep each other awake in this over 500 student class, that we would go for donuts afterward. Darwin and I met there once a week for a couple years. It was wonderful conversation we would have. We were solving the world's problems. When Darwin graduated I had other donut shop partners.

I felt bad that that guy in Donut World did not have a partner. It warmed my heart to know that the lady behind the counter was watching out for him.

I felt awkward getting into my mega van with my wife and son. I felt pity for him, then I felt guilt for feeling that way. My life is so blessed, and I am not always as thankful as I should be.

Even so, I should not assume that his life is not blessed.

Donuts, you know, are like heaven.

No comments: