Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Getting to the game....

Last night, E's team played David Douglas. Getting to the field was a trial for Jodie and I. They played on the diamond furthest from the parking lot.

It was a long ways! The was no easy way to get the scooters onto the field. Jodie went ahead and walked the distance to the diamond. I figured I could make it to the diamond, but I also knew that after the game when I was cold and stiff I would not be able to make it back to the car.

I went back to the van. I turned on our Garmin and pulled up a map of the area. I looked for a road that would get me closest to the baseball field that Eric was playing on. There were a lot of streets coming up; I was not sure which one would get me to the back of the field.

Just then, Jodie called. The coach told Jodie to take 106th off of Division.

I decided to try 106th off Market ST before driving all the way around to Division. The street didn't go through:


View Larger Map


I drove around to Division, about a mile it seems.

I found the gate right behind the field:



View Larger Map


The opening in the fence had some bars just in front of the entrance. I had to squeeze to get through. I managed. I did not know if Jodie would be able to squeeze through when we left, but she did.

The last trick of the night was backing down that narrow street and turning Jet White around. Thank goodness for our backup camera.

What we do for the Kid!

We won 10-7.

No comments: