Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Forget to hang your disabled placard? Pay $200 to get your car off the hook..

..Or sic a grandma, a Post Office public relations officer, and a police officer on a tow truck driver looking to recoup costs(?):

'As for why he asked for payment to release the car, Coe said the driver was merely trying to recover his cost. "He has gone through the expense of patroling, and hooking it up, so he charges a drop fee," Coe said.'


Tow truck, grandma in standoff over disabled parking spot | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

I had a similar run in with the law a year and a half ago. We had to go down to the court house to explain that we had a disabled placard but forgot to hang it up.

The non-disabled may not understand how easy it is to forget to hang the disabled placard up. The card says right on it to remove from mirror when driving. Like everyone else, when I park I have a hundred things on my mind. Hanging the disabled placard is not one of them.

We clipped the disabled placard to our sun visor, but one time we got a warning because the officer, who was patrolling from a wheelchair, could not see it.

We now keep the placard on our mirror all the time. I'm just afraid I will forget to hang it up otherwise. It really does not block my vision; I am just careful when I roll down the windows that it does not blow out the van.

There should be a better solution, a way to make the visible all the time, without obstructing your view and having to handle the placard every time I park, but I have not figured it out yet.

Maybe this grandma will.

No comments: