Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Down Syndrome dolls

An interesting post about a new teaching tool cor college kids and a way for Down syndrome kids to feel acceptance. The company - Downi Creations.

It has sparked a debate, according to the London Times.

I think it would be cruel to make it the only doll that a child has. Dolls are an escape. Kids should have dolls that help them dream.

Dolls should also inspire us that it is okay to be who you are.

What would a doll of my look like? Let's see...
  • my head's not always straight
  • my hands are shaky
  • my feet don't stay straight when I walk
  • according to strangers who call me on the phone, I sound like I just woke up
  • I ride a mobility scooter some of the time
  • a doll of me would have to include a toy Sprinter van, complete with a rear wheelchair lift

Hey, a doll of me might be a hit!

No comments: