Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Kid's on the other team laughing at Jodie and I

Baseball is nearly over for E, but not fast enough.

Bickering coaches, kids and parents...it's been a trying year.

Tonight kids on the other team began mocking Jodie and I. Jodie and I didn't see it happen, but my mother-in-law did, and she marched over to the dugout and told the boy (or boys?) to knock it off.

A mother of another boy on our team thought they owed us an apology.

My preferred method of handling it is to ignore the mocking, stare the kids down until they look away, and go on.

Jodie and I were cheering for the team, and that's what the kids were mocking.

What troubles me most is not the mocking, but how it affects E to see his parents be mocked. I wish he could ignore it the way we do, but it really affects him.

It affects me more that it affects him, if that makes sense.

No comments: