Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A big deal....for me....

The other day we called and canceled the daily paper, The Oregonian.

Big deal...I know.

I have been reading the paper since I was 9. My family had moved from Portland to Harbor City, California...part of the humongous conglomerate called "L.A."...or the South Bay. The paper we had there was the Daily Breeze.

When I was at Oregon State University, after a couple years of figuring out what I was not good at (engineering, computer science, business...), I stumbled into journalism. It came easy for me. I wrote features, copy edited, and had a weekly humor column titles "Witticisms" for the Daily Barometer. That was over 20 years ago...OMG!

For most of the last 20 years, I have been an avid reader of the Oregonian. Cover to cover, pretty much every day. I remember as a kid trying to understand the wars and conflicts in small nations far away. I laugh because I always thought that I would understand them better when I grew up. I guess I am still waiting to grow up.

You can probably tell by the links to all the former newspapers that I rear or use to read...they are all online now. By the time I get to read the paper version, the news is 24 hours old...I have lost interest in old news.

I spend a lot of my spare time at night reading news online. All the local stations, Google News, CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC...and many more.

And a couple gossip sites:

Huffington Post

TMZ

I don't have time for "the paper".

No comments: