Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Local man has his tricycle stolen...again!

Eric Nelson lives not far from us here in Gresham. We don't know him, but we see him sometimes. Two weeks ago, Jodie and I drove our scooter, and our son, E, rode his bike, to the car show in downtown Gresham. We saw Eric that day on his trike.

According the this news story, his trike was stolen for the second time since 2004. Eric uses his trike to collect pop cans from his neighbors in exchange for pulling their emptied garbage cans up from the curb to the house. I am glad that a dear friend of his was able to collect money from the neighbors to replace Eric's trike.

I had a old Schwinn trike that was my main mode of transportation from grade school through my college years. I rode all over the Oregon State campus, and all over Corvallis, on my trike. It was my independence.

I am disturbed that there are people out there who would steal Eric's independence for a cheap thrill.

Thank God for the kindness of friends and neighbors.

No comments: