Living and laughing with a disability - cerebral palsy; ordinary life, extraordinary circumstances.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Dyslexia in the genes?

University of Oxford researchers have found that a variant in a person's genes may be a cause of dyslexia.

Jodie has dyslexia.  Therapy and concentration has helped her overcome it.  I think I may have a form of dyslexia.  Not sure, but I have trouble slowing down when I read.  I skim everything, and my comprehension is not the greatest.  I would think that the parts of our brains that caused us to have cerebral palsy might also play a role in dyslexia.

The researchers do not tie dyslexia to other mental impairments:

"However, it's important to note that this is only true for reading ability and not for IQ, so it doesn't appear to be connected to cognitive impairment."


No comments: